GoSave is bundled ad software, often referred to as ‘adware’ which displays pop-ups and ads on web pages that you visit. It is commonly found to target the Windows operating system. How might this find its’ way onto your computer? You might have downloaded this from a download.com website as part of a software bundle.
GoSave is a software program that installs a browser extension. The browser extension will be found in Firefox, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. It is designed to be very difficult to remove. The following step-by-step was tested on Windows 7 and works on the latest variant of GoSave. Here is how you can remove the GoSave application and browser extension(s):
- Open Control Panel > click > Uninstall a program under ‘Programs’ category
- Scroll through the listing and look for currently installed programs. There isn’t a definitive list of programs that come bundled with GoSave, so you will have to check each program carefully
- Use Revo Uninstaller if you experience problems uninstalling a program
- Next – download and install AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool
- Close all open programs and browsers and open AdwCleaner – click > Scan
- Once the scan is complete click > Clean – save any open files an reboot your computer
- Next – Open Junkware Removal Tool and a command prompt will open – press any key to start the scan. This will take some time.
- A log is created for any malicious files and registry keys found. Reboot your computer
- Next – open Internet Explorer and press the gear icon > then Internet Options > Advanced > Reset
- In “Reset Internet Explorer settings” select “Delete personal settings” check box then click > Reset. Once the process has been complete you can click > Close > then restart browser
- Next – open Google Chrome and press “menu button” > Tools > Extensions (make sure “Developer mode” is checked)
- On the Extensions tab the GoSave extension should be unchecked – click the dustbin to delete the extension > restart browser
- Lastly – open Mozilla Firefox by clicking “menu button” > Help menu icon (?) > Troubleshooting Information then click > Reset Firefox and then again on the confirmation window
- Mozilla Firefox will close and revert to default settings. When done click on > Finish. Restart browser
- Note: Your old Firefox profile will be placed on your desktop. You should delete this
- GoSave extension is not removed from Google Chrome in the above steps, however it will be disabled
- Lastly – download Zoek** security tool (uses CMD) and copy the following script to the main box; Check > Scan All Users > Run Script. You will need to disable your security software to download and run this utility. It is 100% safe to use. Here is the script:
Software bundlers should allow users to decide whether they want this browser extension installed and make it simple for them to uninstall and not leave any files in the Registry. Unfortunately this isn’t the case, which leads anti-virus vendors to classify this type of extension as ‘adware’ and worst case ‘malware’.