For those who have a rooted device and enjoy using custom ROM’s such as Cyanogen Mod, you might like to know that there is a CM11 Nightly build now available for the 2013 Nexus 7 Wi-Fi tablet. The new official CM11 Nightly custom ROM is based on Android 4.4 KitKat., which includes all the latest features and apps and other CM own apps.
NOTE: Google Apps cannot be pre-installed with CM as they are Google-branded apps. You will therefore have to install these apps using a package called ‘Gapps’ *. Click here for more information on how to install Google apps. For those running KitKat DO NOT enable the ART runtime!
*This is a separate package (see below) which install Google apps once the system ROM has loaded.
- Download the CM11 custom ROM zip from this page. Download the latest nightly ZIP file. TIP: Use Terminal app to confirm you have the 2013 Nexus 7 Wi-Fi. You should see ‘flo’ in terminal.
- Next, download the Android 4.4 Gapps file – from this link: d-h.st/EIM URL (filename: gapps-kk-20131031.zip) * I counted 36 tracking scripts running from this webpage – nothing malicious though. So beware, if you value your privacy. 🙁
- Connect Nexus 7 to your PC, and move both the above ZIP files to internal storage. Once copied, disconnect your Nexus 7. (DO NOT UNZIP).
- Power off your Nexus 7 and then boot into recovery mode. Make sure you are using your latest custom recovery for flashing Android 4.4 ROMs.
- Create a backup using NANDROID – you can use TWRP or CWM to do this.
- Factory reset your Nexus 7 – this will wipe the system.
- Next up – now you can install CM11 Nightly ROM. Using TWRP press > Install, browser the internal storage for the CM11 Nightly ZIP then swipe to confirm install. You can also use CWM by tapping > ‘Install zip from sdcard’ then ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and then navigate to the CM11 Nightly ZIP file to confirm the install.
- Now you need to flash the Android 4.4 Gapps zip file. Using TWRP press > Install, find the Gapps zip file and confirm. For CWM you will need to select ‘choose zip from scared’ then find the Gapps zip file.
- Both the CM11 custom nightly and Gapps file should now be installed. You will now need to navigate back to the recovery screen and reboot your Nexus 7. TWRP – press > Reboot, then > System. For CWM select ‘reboot system now’. That’s it! 🙂
I’ve tested this process and it worked for me and using either TWRP and CWM.
Safe surfing folks!