How to install Android XPrivacy using Xposed installer

XprivacyManaging application privileges (permissions) on Android isn’t that user friendly – and that includes KitKat 4.4. If you want a powerful tool to manage your app privileges (permissions) then XPrivacy might just be that app. XPrivacy allows you to manage and control app permissions via the installer for the Xposed Framework.

The Xposed Framework* is a customisation tool which allows modders to make changes (install modules such as XPrivacy) to the Android system without making changes to the behaviour of apps and/or the source code. We use this framework to look for module exploits.

In most instances you would need to download the Xposed Framework from XDA Developers forum, but for the benefit of this post, you can do this with the help of the XPrivacy Installer app. Then you would have to find a module to install. Remember for you to be able to install the XPrivacy module your device will need to be rooted.

The XPrivacy module allows you to have super user power in that you can stop an application like Twitter and Facebook from having access to specific permissions. Beware though, if you start changing privileges (permissions) ad hoc you might end up crashing the app or the device. So beware!

*Only works with SU/root access on Android 4.0.3 or later.

The following was tested on a Galaxy Nexus running Android Jelly Bean 4.3 (Build JWR66Y):

• First up you will need to download the XPrivacy Installer
  • Open > XPrivacy Installer and Tap > Check for root and check both “I have made a full backup” and “I have enabled Unknown Sources”
  • Tap > Download/install Xposed (this is the Xposed Framework) – this will open your browser (URL
  • You will need to scroll down the webpage and look for “download” – this should be version 2.4.1 – always check the MD5 hash with a checker tool. Tap the URL and you need to complete the action using your browser (you may have to do this twice**)
  • Once download is complete – pull down notifications and tap > and this will open the Xposed Installer – Tap > Install and you should now see a tick next to “App installed”. Now tap > Open
  • Tap > Framework to update Xposed to the latest version > install/Update > Tap > OK when done and reboot
  • Open Xposed Installer and tap > Download > search > XPrivacy and tap > Download (latest version 1.10.36)
  • You will then be asked whether you want to install the app tap > Next > Install > Open
  • Finally to use XPrivacy you need to enable the module from Xposed Installer – tap > Modules and check xPrivacy.

That’s it – you are now ready to play with XPrivacy and manage/filter your apps!

**If you use Chrome you may see a notice “This type of file can harm your device. Do you want to keep anyway?” Tap > OK

XPrivacy is a very powerful module. It certainly is more useful than CyanogenMod Privacy Guard and Google’s up and coming App Ops (which disappeared in 4.4) in my mind. However I’m sure major improvements will be made with these in time too.

This entry was posted in android, google, mobile, privacy and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to How to install Android XPrivacy using Xposed installer

1. Nick says:

Thanks for the walkthrough, I was nervous about using the installer because I didn’t know it included how to install xposed. Steps were the same on Nexus 4 running 4.3. I used MD5 Checker (free, but has ads).

#Nick# Glad it was easy to understand. 🙂 We test all our walk thru’s before we post as we find sometimes we come across problems. We are also reliant on our community of visitors like you! MD5 Checker is one we also use.

2. Richard says:

It’s easy to install Xprivacy with Bluestacks tool, follow the link for download it:
    (mediafire) [link removed – commercial tool 🙂 )

3. scherzo says:

bro can you help me ? i have problem with install xposed framework,,,it can`t mount system write ,,,please help me

4. J says:

After installing this, does one still need a firewall and if so what is the best firewall for a rooted device?

Also is it necessary to get Antivirus?

ESET looks good but is way over the top with stuff that is not firewall related

5. Jikrii says:

Hello…why i can’t install XPrivacy on my galaxy grand quattro? 4.1.2 jellybean…please help me…

#Jikrii# Can you explain what if any error messages you might be seeing? Are you able to provide a logcat of your install?

6. Justin says:

I have a Note 3,rooted and all yet it says x privacy is not enabled in the xposed installer. I have tried rebooting, made sure the box was checked, framework updates. Any idea why it continues to say this? Thanks

#justin# I’d suggest uninstalling the Xposed Installer before installing the XPrivacy module. You may also want to uninstall any other modules you might be running. Once you have XPrivacy working, you can then re-install your other modules.

7. Chris says:

Every time I use this on Bluestacks, it won’t initialize after Xprivacy install and reboot. I’ve tried 2 versions of Bluestacks, and it happened on both of them. I’ve also tried it over 10 times on each version: same thing. Why does this keep happening? And better yet, how can I fix it?

8. Chris says:

To add to what I wrote above (in hopes of an answer), here’s what happens:
    Install rooted Bluestacks
    Install XPrivacy installer
    -> It checks root: passes
    -> Check “I have made a full backup”
    -> Check “I have enabled Unknown Sources”
    -> Download XPosed via XPrivacy installer
    Install XPosed Installer
    -> Click “Framework”
    -> Click “Install/Update”
    -> Click “OK” (for reboot)

It never reboots. When I go in and start it myself via HD-StartLauncher.exe, it sits on the initial “Initializing” screen and never goes beyond that.

I’m using the Rooted BY Dubsteam version of BlueStacks.

Can you please tell me how to fix this?

9. less says:

“Device restart required

privacy service not found; did u enable Xprivacy in the xposed installer and reboot your device?”

that is wat i get after I finished all the steps. i already rebooted it and I already enable xprivacy from xposed.

#less# What Android version (including Build number) are you using? Have you tried uninstalling the Xposed installer?

10. amninder says:

Hello julian i have mobile with kitkat 4.4.2 and 1.3gh prosessor brand is fly i want root but from were i dont know can u plz send me link of root and tell which version is download and also send the link of xprivacy and xposed installer for download it for my phone send me link in my mail or in commnt plz

11. bhargav says:

can you please tell me how to install xposed framework on rooted bluestacks?

12. himanshu says:

I have an issue that xposed intaller not working ….in my honor mobile

13. Rahul says:

hey bro its giving Xposed is not (yet) compatible with Android SDK version 22 or your processor architecture (armeabi-v7a) plz help me give me the solution step by step plzz

14. Raul says:

I’m afraid of use it because of the option “I have made a full backup”… It will wipe my internal storage?