For those that remember, Facebook quietly announced back in April that Facebook users would be receiving an @facebook.com email address, so that it matched their public username, which is the same as used by your URL for your profile page. The problem with this is that Facebook didn’t explain that the @facebook.com email address would be the default address displayed to your Facebook friends. So how do you manage your @facebook.com email address privacy?
How to edit/hide your @facebook.com email address which is displayed on your profile:
- Click on the “About” TAB on your profile
- Go to the section marked “Contact info” and choose “Edit”
- Adjusting settings here allows you to decide the default email address not Facebook
- Press “Save” and now you have some control back of your email address
NOTE: It is actually easy to work out your @facebook.com email address from your profile URL 🙁
If you wish to have further control of who sends emails to your @facebook.com account then you will need to do this:
- Click Home menu at the top right on Facebook and choose “Privacy Settings”
- Scroll down to “How you connect” and click ‘Edit Settings”
- Select preference from dropdown menu next to “Who can send you Facebook messages?”
- That’s it. Note: The “Everyone” option stops Facebook and Internet users from emailing you.
WARNING: Your @facebook.com email address allows ANYONE, and this includes everyone on Facebook and the Internet to send you an email address, this includes spammers as well.
Safe surfing folks!