Facebook Timeline – it’s your final decision

30th January 2012 UPDATE: Facebook has confirmed it is making the move to Timeline compulsory to ALL members in the next few weeks. Facebook Timeline will be being pushed out to ALL Facebook members in the upcoming weeks via a notification update. Once it’s ready, you’ll see the notice at the top of your old profile. Your timeline is your collection of the photos, stories, and experiences that tell your story. You will be able to add a cover; edit your basic info; jump to the past; view your activity log; see highlights from each month; star stories you want to highlight; add life events; update your status; view and add photos and share your app activity.

Facebook Timeline is available for your regular browser and Android and mobile web versions right now, but if you want to wait for the notification update you can. I’d like to warn users that if you decide to activate Timeline, you will have no option to return to the old version after 7 days. A quick glance at the privacy settings and it’s plain to see that the ability to switch off Timeline is missing. I’m also not sure right now whether all Facebook members will be forced to switch to Timeline, but somehow I think we will all not have much choice. I’ve glanced the Help Centre and haven’t as yet found an entry for switching off the Timeline. I therefore suspect we will have to move to Timeline in time – no pun intended! TIP UPDATE: If you don’t want to use Timeline you could consider reverting to Internet Explorer 7. 🙂

Timeline Activity Log

One feature that really interested me was ‘view your activity log’. This allows you to easily control/manage your Timeline on a month by month basis (including history) – a very useful feature. You can adjust the privacy of your posts, and see settings for posts created by your friends. Additionally and most important for me was the ability (and much easier than before) to hide, allow or feature a story on my timeline.

Useful privacy feature: If you want to limit who sees your Timeline (see note below), you can do so by doing the following:

• Go to Privacy settings
  • Look for ‘Limit the Audience for Past Posts’ – click ‘Manage Past Post Visibility’
  • Click ‘Limit Old Posts’
  • Note: Content you have shared with friends of friends or Public will now change to friends.

First impressions of Timeline are, I can see some people really taking to this but alas there will be the obvious privacy concerns for others. My suggestion given Timeline goes right back to when you first posted (and the new layout will make people even more inquisitive), is to remove any stories/posts you don’t want people to see before you publish your Timeline (you will have 7 days to make sure everything is in order). If you don’t like Timeline I’d suggest you permanently delete your Facebook account right away (see earlier comment on moving to Timeline). Timeline goes way back to when you first joined Facebook, so be patient and check/delete every post and story – you don’t want anything to come back to haunt you. TIP: Facebook Report Abuse or Policy Violations

This entry was posted in facebook, privacy and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Facebook Timeline – it’s your final decision

1. Pingback: Facebook Timeline – it’s your final decision | Events | IT Security Magazine - Hakin9 www.hakin9.org

2. sarah says:

i would like to delete my timeline is there any way to do that

#Sarah# There was a way (this included developers) but that has now been removed by Facebook. So right now, if you are on Timeline, you will have no option but to stay on it. I suspect everyone will be forced on to it and then the privacy advocates will shout and Facebook will be forced to provide a ‘Turn off’ option. I will be dropping them a line.

3. The ONLY solution out there to Remove or Delete the Facebook Timeline:

4. MeeMee says:

When will everyone be forced to use timeline? I haven’t switched yet because I have read that it is only an option. Is this true?

#MeeMee# Not sure yet, but I expect sometime in the first half of 2012. If you do switch to ‘Timeline’ right now you will not be able to revert to the previous version.

5. Nitin Sirsat says:

How To Deactivate Facebook Timeline Profile with Video Guide:

#Nitin Sirsat# This only works if you set-up Timeline in developer mode. Most users will not have used the developer set-up process you describe. Good video though 🙂 Lastly, and most importantly, this developer mode is no longer available as stated in my reply to #Sarah# above.

6. Facebook Timeline is making our lives a bit more public than I would prefer it.

Since at least for now i will stick at least a little longer with Facebook, I spent some time tweaking my timeline.

I also made a small easy to follow guide on how to use the new Facebook Timeline wisely and securely:
    Facebook Timeline Complete Guide

Hope you can find that useful 🙂

7. Alex Holy says:

it’s 2 hours ,I have timeline , I don’t like , and I choose exposed to public ( my error , (friend it’s better!), I don’t want !!!! , I have upgraded my info , and a cover picture , but it’s not published !, I want delete timeline , how is possible ??. right now ! before the end of 7 days ?? . . thank you so much for your help ! thanks Julian !

8. Alana says:

how to delete Cover Photo/Image/album from Timeline permenently

9. Michelle says:

hey, does anyone know how to look at previous status’ I can only see the one’s off today & need to see one off yesterday.

10. jenny says:

this new facebook is crap i didnt even know i had the timeline view until now and i havent clicked on anything for it change. i think Mark Zuckerberg and the developers are going to annoy a lot of people and have a lot of complaints if they dont get an option to change it back how it was.

#Jenny# Actually the Timeline provides you with far more flexibility to control your privacy – I endorse it actually. That said I do agree, Facebook should provide you with an option to disable ‘Timeline’ if you so wish.

11. Ravinder Singh Mann says:

tell me how i can remove the facebook timeline from mine id

12. neha chaudhary says:

i want to use timeline .. and i m using also but my frnds r not able to see the timeline on my profile they see the old one… wht to do to show thm a new one

13. reza aminaiee says:

My FB account is: facebook.com/reza.aminaiee
    that now is Disabled. My phone No. to recieving SECURITY CODE is lost.
    Please Help Me to geting result.

14. Johnny says:

Can anyone PLEASE tell me how to remove when I joined facebook off of my wall. I deleted it through the edit option about a month ago. It now has reappeared and is a public post on my wall. I do not wish to share when I joined or any other information that I deem private. When I “view as” the public can now see it. I also, unfriended a few friends and they too said it is up there. The post is deleted from my timeline but FB has still made it PUBLIC for the world to see. HELP!

15. Pingback: Facebook Timeline will be compulsory from August 8 | News | Hackers about hacking techniques in our IT Security Magazine