Working with most of the global Internet Security (IS) vendors I wondered why some consumers I spoke too felt ripped off when upgrading their Internet Security. So I thought I would do a little research. Here is my research and my suggestions. Most IS vendors are now promoting one year three PC licenses which is a good marketing strategy which no doubt improves customer retention.
I’ve read some magazines which claim that you can buy the IS suites on Amazon or similar websites for half the price. I’ve not seen this, so cannot substantiate the claims. That said there does appear to be some price differences when upgrading from existing OEM IS suites – this is the IS software that comes pre-installed on your new PC/laptop.
Here are some suggestions if you have been automatically charged for another years’s worth of IS protection without being asked:
- Do not allow your IS software to renew automatically. You can buy the IS software cheaper boxed from online retailers i.e. Amazon
- If you have provided your credit card details then access your account information and remove the automatic renewal
- Do not buy licence renewals and upgrades directly from the IS vendors – I’d suggest you buy a boxed online version which are generally cheaper
- Look out for boxed renewal editions which can are also sold by online retailers
- Always double check to make sure your purchase or renewal protects the same number of PCs / laptops
- Lastly and most importantly, do your homework by spending some time researching online stores to see if you can save money!
If you don’t want to use the IS software that comes pre-installed on your computer, you have options. In fact you have FREE options. You will need to uninstall the OEM version first though and then use that vendors cleaning software (and maybe also a third-party cleaner) to remove any erroneous files. You could for example then install a free firewall and then download and install FREE anti-virus software such as Avast!, AVG, Avira or Microsoft Security Essentials.
Safe surfing folks!