If you didn’t know it – you do now! go.google.com is very dangerous indeed. If you click on a link in say Google you will be taken to any one of a number of fake websites. Even worse, start looking for a fix on the same computer and you’ll be taken to one of many fake antivirus scanning websites.
Be warned! So if you are one of the unlucky ones I suggest you read on….
What are the signs?
– you hover over a search listing and notice ‘go-google.com’ on all/most links
– your browser has stopped working – takes you to fake websites
– your browser will not allow you to download software updates i.e. AVG, Symantec, AVAST etc
– your computer has slowed down or doesn’t work in safe mode
– you have noticed pop up advertisements
– you’ve seen a pop up asking you to pay for antivirus or antispyware
– a pop up tells you you are infected with viruses (will also stop malwarebytes from being installed)
Read more about how to remove antispyware and antivirus malware variants.
If you do have the ‘go-google.com’ virus here’s what you should do to remove it, allow you to search in safety again and allow your security download updates to work: 🙂
> Go to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > View > Show Hidden Devices.
> Scroll down to “Non-plug and Play Drivers” and click the plus icon to open those drivers.
> Then search for “TDSSserv.sys”
> Right click on it, and select “Disable”
Note: If you select Uninstall, it will install itself again when you reboot the system, so DON’T select Uninstall.
> Restart your computer
Now I suggest you download Malawarebytes http://www.id-theftprotect.com/redir_adv.php?adv_id=563 (this is our safe link – cut and paste into your browser and you’ll be taken straight to the download pages) and then run the scan and fix the problems it finds.
Good luck. Any problems, please give us a call. +44 0870 766 9234.
Safe surfing folks!