Are your investments safe here in the UK?
You have searched for a company to invest your money. It might be shares or bonds or another type of investment. Either way, you need to be sure that the company you are dealing with is reputable. Not all companies are! Some of the premium brands are reputable and you should know who ‘they’ are. Here are some things you might want to think about when dealing with a lesser known company:
Ask yourself –
Q. Is the UK company a reputable brand?
Q. Has a company contacted you about investing with them?
Q. Do you know what you need to know about their business?
Q. How do you check the company is safe and secure?
If you are about to invest with a particular lesser known company here is what I suggest you should do (apart from making sure you make money of course!): (these are the RED FLAGS – so start being a detective!!)
1. Check the company exists and has a company registration number – you can do this at Companies House using a system called Webcheck – click link here:
2. Check the company also has a VAT registration number – click link below: http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/index_en.htm
3. Check whether the company has a website – most reputable companies should have one – verify the company registration, address and VAT details – check the address doesn’t belong to another company – click link below:
4. Check the FSA (Financial Services Authority) website for whether the company has an FSA licence – it should have one! Click the link below to find out whether the company has an FSA licence and that is matches the Companies House trading name – click link below:
5. If you have a contact name you might want to check whether the individuals (Directors) have been disqualified – click link below:
As a last resort you might want to find out what the company credit report is like. Click the link below to find out more. Note: Please be aware there is a cost to find this information.
Lastly and a very useful tip at that: If the company has an FSA licence ring the number that the FSA has for that company. You can then confirm the company, contact and address details.
Remember these are my tips. You might find more… let me know if you do.
Safe surfing folks!